Friday, August 19, 2011

Happy, Wet Dog

God works in mysterious ways. Last week I had a very very bad day; and God sent a dog to change it.


In Fairfield, California there is a library. Behind the library is a walking path and a peaceful, clear pond. The pond has a flock of ducks, some geese as well as some beautiful trees and a little footbridge.

While my friend was inside the library I decided to step out to the pond to have some time to myself. I was all dressed up in my newest black dress. My hair was nice, my makeup was nice, and I looked gorgeous. But truthfully, I felt terrible. I was overwhelmed, tired, lonely, and did not know what to do.

In the peace of the duck pond I decided to pray. I prayed out loud with tears slowly rolling down my face and my voice choking up. I thought that if I prayed, God would just take away my feelings. But by the time I ended my prayer nothing had changed.

I stood by the pond. I got out my phone and started to flip it over and over in my hands. Tears dripped down my face into the grass.

Then I heard a splash. Looking up, I saw a man tossing sticks into the pond for his big, black dog. The dog leapt after the stick sending the ducks into a flurry. Joyfully he splashed back to his owner with the stick, drenching the man's legs and flip flops.
Then, the dog caught sight of me. Abandoning his game of fetch, he bounded over to me! His tongue was lolling out of his grinning mouth, his fur was sopping wet, and he came right to me and snuggled up to my legs. My shiny, black high heels were swimming in doggie-pond water. But I did not care! He was so happy to see me! He paced and jumped around me grinning and trying to play. Then he planted all four of his feet and... SHOOK!
...all over my perfect new dress, my perfect hair, and my perfect makeup. And I laughed! I laughed so hard and so fully I'm sure the whole library turned to see what was happening! I laughed and laughed and laughed!

Of course the owner sprinted to my rescue and was perfectly apologetic. He was so sorry his dog had ruined my clothes and interrupted what I was doing. He strictly took the dog by the collar and marched him to the other side of the pond.

I watched them, laughing as they marched away. Then I realized that I felt completely different from the moment before. My feelings had lightened. My tears had dried (although my dress and shoes were still wet.) I looked at the pond and at the sky and smiled upward.

God hears prayers and he answers them. Perhaps your time of need will not be at a pond in a fancy dress. Nevertheless, your prayer can be just as swiftly and thoroughly answered as mine was with a happy, wet dog. 

Pray often! Champion good!




No comments:

Post a Comment