Friday, September 28, 2012

"I'd Rather Talk About His Humanity"


One of my favorite movies is Chocolat. I like it because it directly addresses something I used to struggle with. For a long time I thought that Heavenly Father demanded perfection, strict adherence to every commandment, and rigid  boundaries against anything that was evil. I was hard on myself and others for imperfection. I was not completely heartless! But I was far more focused on obedience than love. In the film Chocolat, the young priest addresses a small town congregation on Easter morning. He says,   

I'm not sure what the theme of my homily today ought to be. Do I want to speak of the miracle... of our Lord's divine transformation? Not really, no. I don't want to talk about His divinity. I'd rather talk about His humanity. I mean, you know, how he lived his life here on Earth. His kindness. His tolerance. Listen, here's what I think. I think we can't go around... measuring our goodness by what we don't do. By what we deny ourselves... what we resist and who we exclude. I think we've got to measure goodness... by what we embrace... what we create... and who we include.

I have pondered on that concept. My perspective on Christ and following Christ has changed. While obedience played its role, Christ did a lot of things (more things?) that reflect this kind, tolerant way of treating people: all people. I imagine His kindness was experienced more than His wine to water type of miracles. He looked like a normal person, not an angel. He did normal person things like eat and sleep. I'm sure He didn't always smell good! For me, this is encouraging. I believe that He lived a sinless perfect life, I do not try to lessen His glory. However, I like it when I can tell  He lived in a hot, dusty, bug-y, smelly world. He was tempted and experienced fatigue and hunger and he did it over a lifetime, not in one day!

A few scripture excerpts for you, although I'm sure there are better ones...

Roughly quoted...

" He... Sat at meat" (Matt 9:10)
"He... took her by the hand" (Matt 9:25)
"He... plucked ears of corn and ate" (Matt 21:1)

etc.

Champion good! What do you see of Christ's humanity in the scriptures?



No comments:

Post a Comment