Thursday, March 8, 2012

Flowers

My mom used to sing me a lullaby. It went:

White coral bells upon a slender stalk
Lilies of the valley line my garden walk.
Oh! How I wish that I could hear them ring,
But that only happens when the fairies sing.

I have always liked flowers. I love how they look, how they feel and how they smell. My mom can tell you that I'm much better at taking care of flower gardens than vegetable gardens!  I have noticed lately that all of the trees and plants are bursting into bloom! It has made me consider two lessons that we can learn from flowers.

First, "Bloom where you are planted." I like this saying. It encourages me to make the best of any situation. It reminds me that no matter where I am, I should still be myself: the unique me that God created. I might not be well color coordinated with the rest of the garden. I might not bloom on time. I might not even be the plant the label said I would be! But I can flourish wherever I am.I can sink my roots, I can follow the sunlight and become a beautiful thing regardless of my surroundings.

Furthermore, Jesus Christ taught us a lesson using flowers in the Sermon on the Mount. He taught us to "consider the lillies of the field" (Matthew chapter 6 verses 28 through 33). He said:
Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow;
they toil not neither do they spin:

And yet I say unto you ,
that even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.

Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to day is,
and to morrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you,
O ye of little faith?

Therefore take no thought, saying what shall we eat?
or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed?

(For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your
heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things.

But seek ye first the kingdom of God and his righteousness;
and all these things shall be added unto you.
He was trying to teach the people that God knows our daily needs. He understands that we need food and clothing and shelter. However, our minds should not solely be applied to filling those needs.We should also seek the kingdom of God. I believe that is true. I believe that as we seek the Lord's will, our needs are met. Our lives overflow with heavenly abundance and we are happy. The beauty that we add to ourselves by this effort is above earthly standards of beauty.

Champion Good!  Be your best self! Seek God! Bloom!




2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you so much for sharing this An on. It really is lovely.

      Delete