Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Represent

Baptism is a covenant. A covenant is a lot like a contract. Baptism is a covenant between a person and God. He or she promises certain things and God promises them certain things in return. In a contract, if either party breaks their promise, the opposite party is freed from their obligation. God never breaks His promises, so it is up to us to keep our end of the bargain.

What do we promise God when we are baptized? Among other things, the Book of Mormon says that we promise the following:

"...To be called His people" (Mosiah 18:8)
"...To stand as witnesses of God" (Mosiah 18:9)
In the Doctrine and Covenants it also says that we are baptized,

 "...To witness unto Thee, O God, the Eternal Father, that [we] are willing to take upon [us] the name of thy Son..." (Doctrine and Covenants 20:77)
The other day I paused to think. As a missionary I wear a name tag. It has two names on it: mine and Jesus Christ's.

I literally wear Jesus Christ's name on my chest every day. When my mission is over, I will miss that. I do not want to ever take it off! I want Jesus' name irrevocably stuck to mine, or rather, mine to His. Then I remembered what I just said about baptism.

I have Jesus Christ's name upon me because I was baptized. I have promised to be called His and to witness of Him, name tag or not.

I have decided to do as Proverbs 2:3 directs.

"Let not mercy and truth forsake thee: bind them about they neck; write them upon the table of thine heart:"
Christ's name is carved upon the table of my heart. I try to do the works He would do. I would not want to dishonor His name. I honor Him by doing my best. When I do my best, I represent Christ.

Champion Good! Represent!


No comments:

Post a Comment