Friday, July 13, 2012

Not of The World

Dreaming, time stops, deja vu kind of moments happen to us all. Here is an example of one of my own.

It was a bright afternoon on a busy street in downtown Winchester, Virginia. I had just finished choir practice and was walking down the street towards my car. Normally there was traffic at this time of day, but there was a momentary lull. The street was silent and abandoned. As I walked, I heard beautiful, distant singing. It was a superb, high, woman's voice. As I tried to understand the words and find where the voice was coming from, I saw a white convertible turn the corner at the end of the street. I heard the voice more clearly and I realized that it was coming from the car. The man driving was listening to Italian opera! It was so beautiful! The car's appearance seemed to fit the angelic sound of the woman's voice. It was sparkling in the sun. The combination made the concrete parking garages and threadbare townhouses of downtown Winchester become ethereal. I reveled in the beauty of the moment. As the pristine white car approached and quickly passed me, I hungrily drank in the music, the car, the thrill! In an instant, the car passed by and the music faded. Traffic resumed and the dream was over.

I have never forgotten this.

Christ described himself as being "...not of this world." He said, "...Ye are from beneath; I am from above: ye are of this world; I am not of this world" (John 8:23).

Maybe being in His presence is like drinking the gorgeous music coming from the white convertible? Perhaps we only have small moments of exposure to His actual nature to motivate us to seek for more? Perhaps when we are following Christ we have a similar effect on other people? We seem out of place and unrealistic but in a priceless way.

I think so.

Champion Good!

No comments:

Post a Comment