Friday, October 28, 2011

Books!

I love books! When I step into a library I feel like I can fly. I feel limitless. There is no end to what I can read!


Because I love books, I have a handful of happy memories associated with books.

When I was very young we didn't have a television. We lived in a town so small, that we did not even have a library close by! Instead, we had a library truck that came to the neighborhood every week. I remember the stacks and stacks of books that my brothers and I would check out. Once inside the house, we would all pile onto the big chair in our front room, where my older brother would read to us. AWESOME!

When I was eleven I tackled the Lord of the Rings series. I was determined to be as good at reading as my older brother. He said they were hard, so I took the challenge. I packed up the first book in the trilogy and a chocolate bar and headed  out to my backyard swing to read. Over the next couple of days the trilogy took me from friendly countryside to enchanted forests, to a grim dank cave with an enormous spider, to the battlefield with elves and dwarfs, and finally safely back to the countryside! Sometimes the story was so real and intense that I turned the page without even licking the chocolate off of my fingers first! By the end of the book I looked up at the sky and said "Wow! That was amazing!" I felt all the thrill of the adventure, but never even left my swing!

I think that I love books so much because my parents started me young. They read to me and taught me to read. They took me to the library and let me pick out my own books. We read as a family or I saw them read by themselves. Of course, we also read the scriptures (the Bible and the Book of Mormon) together.

Did you know that the scriptures tell us to read books? I love that!

"...Study and learn, and become acquainted with all good books..." (Doctrine and Covenants 90:15)
"...Seek ye diligently and teach one another words of wisdom: yea, seek ye out of the best books words of wisdom..." (Doctrine and Covenants 88:118)
So there you have it. Champion good! Read books!

No comments:

Post a Comment