Friday, November 4, 2011

"Mmmmmm, Just Right!" Contentment

What is it like to be perfectly happy? I do not know. But, I do know what it is like to be happily content. I think that is as close to being perfectly happy as I can get. I love it! When I think about what I want from life, I do not think about what makes me "happy" as much as I think about what makes me content.



Here are some things that remind me of what it is like to be happily contented:

You know how you feel right after a good laugh? Or after being tickled? There is a relaxed, happy feeling of relief and peace. You feel great! I think that is contentment.

You know how you feel when you hold a brand new baby who is sleeping and all snuggled up in a blanket? You feel awe and an ennobling responsibility towards that tiny little person. I think that is contentment.

You know how it feels when you look at a family or group of friends all talking and being happy without even trying? That is how it feels to be content.

You know how you feel when you look across a river or a valley or a sunrise? Content! You feel content! Man! So many tiny things (FREE things) make me feel content! I am so lucky!

Since I have been out doing missionary work, I have come across lots of people who do not believe me when I try to explain that church and God bring greater happiness. They do not comprehend what "being with God again" means for them. It made me wonder what I got out of church and God too. I went for a week or two trying to figure out what was in my life because of church and God. Why would I work and struggle for something that did not give me anything in return? It does give me something in return. It gives me contentment. I have been content on a very deep level because of what the gospel teaches me. Baby-holding or sunrise contentment do not even begin to compare with how I feel because of my obedience to the gospel. It reminds me of the lyric "Still waters run deep." My contentment runs deep. It cannot be easily disturbed because it is a permanent fixture as long as I am obedient to God. I know the gospel of Christ is true because nothing else in this world makes me feel the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment